Thursday, July 1, 2010

Elephant Parade!

This week I went to the viewing of the Elephant Parade in London. This is a fundraiser and awareness campaign for the endangered Asian elephant. There have been over 250 around London as apart of this campaign. This week they were brought together as they go up to auction this weekend.

The elephants were gathered at the Royal Chelsea Hospital, for the Chelsea Pensioners. It was a beautiful facility and grounds to walk through and also was able to walk through a few beautiful neighborhood to get there.

Beautiful flowers along some townhomes in the Chelsea neighborhood.

First you have to love how small some European cars are, then you have to wonder how is that car going to get out of the parking spot!

Finally at Royal Hospital Chelsea!




There are so many awesome elephants, I don't know how to choose a favorite. The elephants were painted in so many different ways; artistically, like animals, iconic London, food, pop culture, and so many more. I don't even know how to narrow down the selection for this post...but here are some of the many pictures (like 120 pictures) I took while walking with the elephants.

I finally found them!

Me and the elephant herd.

Strawberries!!





A black taxi elephant!


I loved how the elephants could be painted to look so much like other animals.






Just so you know, I did get many strange looks from people as I was taking pictures of myself with elephants. Let me also tell you how challenging it is to get myself and the elephant in a picture I am taking of myself...luckily I have some real photography skills!

2 comments:

  1. The votes are in: Madelyn likes the cow elephant the best. Avery like the peacock the best. I think the chia pet one is pretty cool. Think this would go over in Rushford as a fundraiser for the preschool????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you guys liked them! I still haven't been able to pick a favorite yet. I seem to be a little partial to the ones painted like other animals and the ones painted to represent iconic London items. I have lots of additional pictures of different elephants so I will have to show you all of them next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete