Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Comedy of Errors

Our second performance as a class was tonight. We attended The Comedy of Errors at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. It was a great night. The play started a little slow...or I was a little slow adjusting to Shakespeare. It didn't take long for me to get into it.

The open air theatre is a replica of the theatre were Shakespeare's pieces were originally performed. It is a great experience. Luckily, we had seats in the middle gallery. This theatre features a standing only area on the ground level. I guess it makes watching Shakespeare more authentic. I was glad to have a little less authentic experience by having a seat. Three hours is a little long for me to stand while watching a play.

Historically, a flag being flown at a theatre let people now that there was a performance that night. This way people knew to come across the river. The globe still flies a flag for performances.

The view of the stage from my seat.

Look at all of the people standing in the yard, it was packed by the time the performance started. Glad I had a seat!

The theatre is located on the south bank, so I had to cross the river to get there. I decided to take the tube to a station near the theatre, but walk across the Millennium Bridge to get to the other side. I believe this bridge has a connection to Harry Potter, but I am not sure what. Either way it is nice to have a pedestrian bridge to walk across with some great views. While crossing the bridge, you can see Tate Modern and the Globe on one end, St. Paul's on the other end, and if you look up the river you can see the Tower Bridge.

Walking towards Tate Modern, the art museum that is in a building that used to be a power factory.

Looking towards Tower Bridge, do you see it in the distance?

Looking at St. Paul's.

As we left the Globe, the view over St. Paul's was amazing. It looked like a postcard. Unfortunately, my camera (it may be operator error) is not the best at taking night pictures, so this is pretty blurry, but at least you get the idea of what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment