Monday, January 17, 2011

Seuss Shower

While I was back in Iowa, I was able to throw a shower for a great friend of mine, Val. Val and her husband Ian are expecting their first child in March and I am so excited for them.   Val and I met while we were in high school when we were both on the State 4-H Council.  I have been very blessed to have Val’s friendship in my life since then. 

Since they are not finding out the gender of the baby yet, I needed a gender-neutral theme for the shower.  I came up with a Seuss themed shower.  I was so happy with how everything turned out for the shower!  My mom was a huge help with the last minute preparation and baking.  I owe her big time!   I can’t wait until March and I can come back on spring break to meet Little Plagge (LP)!

Here are the highlights from the shower, starting with the decorations.  Table centerpieces were fun, Seuss-like items.  I was inspired by several blogs that showed Seuss themed decorations and their ideas morphed into my centerpieces.  I was really happy with the final masterpieces!

Table #1 

 Table #2

 Table #3

 Table #4

With a theme like Seuss, books made great decorations for the shower.  I got some books from Goodwill and cut the pages out of the already loved books to make bunting for the room.  You can see the Green Eggs and Ham bunting on the welcome and food tables.  

 Here is the Oh The Thinks You Can Think bunting on the wall. 

Here are a few shots of the whole room:


The welcome table was decorated with some Green Eggs and Ham bunting and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  Also on this table were the favors, Hop on Pop Popcorn for the guests to take home.  On the other end of this table was the coloring book activity.  I found a Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That coloring book with a story in it.  I cut out the pages, asked guests to color a page and sign their name to it.  I put all of the pages together into an album so LP will have a custom book  when he or she gets here in March.
 The welcome table!

 Close-up of the favors.

 The Grinch!

 The coloring book activity.


I also used books to help decorate the food table as you will see in the next set of pictures, the food pictures!  I took on the challenge of serving Seuss themed food for the shower.  There was:
  • Green Eggs and Ham Key Lime Cupcakes
  • The Cat in the Hat Thing 1 and Thing 2 Cupcakes
  • Oh the Places You’ll Go Trail Mixes
  • Hop on Pop Candied Popcorn
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish Swedish Fish and Goldfish
  • Seuss Juice: Cranberry, Apple, and Blueberry Sparkling Juice




 Close-up of the Green Eggs and Ham cupcakes.

 Close-up of the two kinds of Hop on Pop candied popcorn.

 Close-up of the Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes.

And of course present time!  LP got some great gifts from all the wonderful ladies at the shower.
 A farm scene playmat.

 A little Cyclone hoodie...adorable!

 A duckie bath robe.

 A diaper bag from Aunt Amanda.

 A puppy sleeper from Aunt Rachel.

 I heart Mommy sleeper.

 The back (above) and front (below) of the Dr. Seuss quilt I made for LP.

 All of the Aunts-to-be and Grandmas-to-be with Mommy-to-be.

And finally, me with Mommy-to-be!

No comments:

Post a Comment