Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Latest Sewing Projects

I was able to use some of the down time to get some sewing in.  Here are some of the projects I have been able to finish.

Project 1. Half Apron
I have some great friends, the Bishops, that host an annual white elephant party.  This year (2010) was the first year I was able to attend.  I decided to make something for the gift exchange (no surprise there).  I thought a half apron would be cute and I knew some of the girls at the party really like them.  I used some Amy Butler fabric I had and it can even be reversible.  The apron is made primarily using 2 fat quarters and then some coordinating (matching in this case) yardage for the ties.  I also added some extra detail with two large yo-yos.  


In this close up you can see the yo-yo details with buttons to look kind of like flowers.

I called this gift my "hostess with the mostess gift."  I packaged the apron with a trifle bowl I bought experimented with glass etching.  I added a design of dots around the bowl and I think it turned out great.  Hope you like it Randi!


Project 2. Embellished Hats
I just recently (in November or December) bought yo-yo makers.  I got two different sizes, before this I had been making them all free hand.  Since my life drastically changed for the better with these new yo-yo makers, I thought it would be fun to make a few gifts for some friends, so I decorated some hats (about 12 to be specific).  I made all of them different, so everyone got a custom one.


Thanks April for modeling your hat for me!

Project 3. Casserole Carrier
Every year my Mom's side of the family gets together and has a white elephant style gift exchange.  I usually make something for the exchange and this year I decided to change it up from my normal purse or tote and make a casserole carrier...perfect for parties and potlucks.  I used a great tutorial from the blog, 2 Little Hooligans.  Here is the finished product.

 Avery helping model the casserole carrier.

 The carrier all folded up and ready to go.

 My cousin's daughter Addison helped to model the unfolded casserole carrier.

Project 4. Diaper Bag
Recently I have started making diaper bags for my friends that are expecting (as you know there are quite a few of them).  I love the tutorial from A Mingled Yarn for the Hip Mama Diaper Bag.  Here are some pics from the latest bag.  The bag is a great messenger style and has lots of pockets inside and out, about 10 total.





Project 5. Dr. Seuss Baby Quilt
You have already seen this quilt in my post about the Dr. Seuss baby shower I threw, but I love this quilt so much I wanted to show off the pictures again.  This is based off of the tutorial from the blog Momfetti.    And thanks to my Mom for helping me finish this quilt while I was sick.

Front of the quilt.


I decided to piece the back of the quilt and it ended up being almost reversible.

Project 6. Owl Baby Quilt
This quilt was made for Mazlyn who should be entering this world in the next few weeks...I can't wait!  This was also based off of a tutorial online, but again I made some additions to mine.  The tutorial is from The Polka Dot Chair.  This quilt also received some of my Mom's expert sewing...she is such a huge help!  
  


Project 7. Tablerunner (Snow day project #1)
This project was actually something for me.  If you remember I said I was snowed in for 3 days once I was back in Athens, so I used some of the time to work on sewing projects, including this one.  This is also based on a tutorial from The Polka Dot Chair.  I had to make it a lot shorter than the tutorial, as my table is much smaller, but I think it still turned out great.



Project 8. Taggie Blanket (Snow day project #2)
Another gift I like to give to new babies is a taggie blanket.  This is a great developmental blanket for babies and I just love making them.  Each one I make turns out in its own unique way.  The front of this one is a soft fireman flannel and the back is an even softer white bumpy and furry fleece.  (sorry the pictures are the best, I forgot to move the iron cord)



Project 9. Burp Cloths (Snow day project #3)
I made a set of three coordinating burp cloths to test out my idea for a burp cloth.  It isn't anything special, but I like the shape and size of the cloths.  I think they will be good when out and about with baby.  I also like that they coordinate so well with the taggie blanket I made.  Please ignore the wrinkles, I had them rolled up and packed away from gifting and then I remembered I had forgotten to take a picture!

Now I need to figure out what sewing or other craft project to work on next.  Suggestions are welcome!

3 comments: